Saturday 16 March 2013

My Writing Space - Lynne Garner

Spurred on by Malachy's lovely post 'Want to see my writing desk?' I've decide to do my own. 

As you can see my writing space is not as interesting as Malachy's. In fact I'd say it's fairly business like.  I must admit you are seeing my desk at it's best. I did tidy the pile of letters and bills and even dust it a little. But as I stood back to take the shot you see below I surprised myself at just how little of 'me' I have on it. 



The only item that has sentimental value is a credit card sized picture of a hedgehog (I'm known for my love of these prickly creatures) and a little mouse (just dawned on me my first book was about a hedgehog and a mouse - I wonder if that's just coincidence). As you can see on the front are the words "lots of times in lots of ways..." and on the back are the words "friends mean more than words can say." 



It was given to me by a friend years ago, who is five days younger than I am. I've been lucky, she's always been there. We shared our entire school life, even sitting next to one another during story time in our infants class. Although we now live a three hour drive from one another we're still in contact. But that's it, everything else is connected to my craft of writing. So the shelves are filled with reference books, books on writing and loads of note pads filled with scribbled ideas. 


However I don't occupy this space alone. When I am sitting at my desk working on a new magazine feature or book I'm often tapping to the sound of a snoring dog from the chair behind me. And as you can see Tasha does like to get comfortable.  


To round off this post I wondered what goes on behind your back (if anything) whilst you write and what 'special' item do you have on your desk?  

10 comments:

Linda Strachan said...

Lovely post Lynne
I have several things on my writing desk in my shed, one of them is a tiny old fashioned typewriter, it is under 2 inches across but it is made of metal. I also have several small Gargoyles and a couple of little dragons looking down on me from a shelf.
Behind my back is a wooden stave (made by my husband from five pieces of thin dowelling )with a treble clef and some notes, so that I can imagine there is music playing, without it disturbing the muse!

Teresa Heapy said...

Lovely, inspiring posts. I yearn for a writing desk. I currently write at the kitchen table (or wherever I can get some peace and quiet from the rest of the family). The other week, I took myself off to a hotel to write for 2 days and it was thoroughly wonderful. I have plans for a writing shed in the garden and am, hopefully, gathering things to inspire me there... One day!

Jane Clarke said...

That's one relaxed dog, Lynne! My writing space generally has a dog snoozing on the floor - with head on my feet so as not to miss any movement that could mean walk or snack time.

Moira Butterfield said...

As i think I've mentioned before, I have a 'pinboard of positivity'near my desk. It has some images that I find uplifting and a quotation on a card: 'And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was greater than the risk it took to bloom'. I created the board as part of trying to carve a different more creative path, but in the last year or so my pinboard of positivity has been well out of my eyeline and so have my goals, so this is a reminder to start using it again. Firstly, I will move it, i think.

Abie Longstaff said...

Ah all these posts are really inspiring me to sort out my writing area. I've had a leaking roof, rotten windows and a dangerous chimney to deal with so now my space looks a mess. As soon as I have a bit of free time (hahahaha) I WILL do something about it!

Lynne Garner said...

Wow two days of unbroken writing time. How I yearn for that. Perhaps one day.

Lynne Garner said...

The dog may be relaxed but the ears don't turn off. If she hears me move she's up and expecting something good.

Lynne Garner said...

What a fab idea - I think I may borrow that for one of my writing classes. I'll give you full credit obviously.

Paeony Lewis said...

I enjoy seeing desks, Lynne. Thanks for sharing. I have too much clutter on my desk so therefore I try to keep the walls free apart from a couple of photographs that prod at my imagination. Mind you, the desk clutter is annoying me, so perhaps it's time for a clean (though no way am I tackling the papers on the dining room table!).

sam john said...

wow great article famous children's book authors