Tuesday 1 March 2016

Is this the real life or is this just fantasy? by Abie Longstaff

I love fantasy - any kind of fairy tales, mythology or crazy invented wackiness.

But I also chortle when a book manages to reference real life.

I loved the use of 'Henopoly' in Chicken Nugget (Michelle Robinson and Tom McLaughlin)


This poster in Spaghetti with the Yeti (Charlotte Gillain, Adam Gillain and Lee Wildish) made me laugh with its X Files reference:


And who could fail to giggle at a line of royal underpants in The Queen's Knickers (Nicholas Allan)?






Lauren Beard and I try to squeeze as many real life references as we can into our fairy tales. In the latest Fairytale Hairdresser, Beauty and the Beast, we've got:

Art references:


Literary references:


And even a nod to musical genres


But can you guess which musical style/performer each outfit represents? And, more importantly, can you please settle the row between my husband and me - is Number 1 Rude Boy or Pete Docherty?

3 comments:

Moira Butterfield said...

Ho ho! I'd say Pete because of his eyes! There is lots of lovely fun to be had adding references. Occasionally, though, children's writers do overdo references which only adults will get. That begins to annoy me. I've just read the second 'goth girl' book and found it had way too many asides meant for adults. They seemed to create a wall between the grown-up and the child.

-blessed holy socks said...

"This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty sed to me in my coma. "Beyond thy earthly tempest is where you'll find corpulent eloquence" (paraphrased). Lemme tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...

I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girl passed-away at 17.

Find-out where we went on our journey far, far away like the symbiotically, synonyMOUSEs which creep across thy brain bringing U.S. together done in sardonic satires.

"Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3

Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
See you Upstairs...
I won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
eklektikmantra.blogspot.com

-YOUTHwitheTRUTH
-------------------------------
PS Need some uncommon, unique, uncivilized names? Lemme gonna gitcha started:

Oak Woods, Athena Noble, Autumn Rose, Faith Bishop, Dolly Martin, Willow Rhodes, Cocoa Major, China Stone, Bullwark Burnhart, Magnus Wilde, Kardiak Arrest, Will Wright, Goldy Silvers, Sophie Sharp, Gloria Hood, Violet Snow, Lizzy Roach, BoxxaRoxx, Aunty Dotey, Romero Stark, Zachariah Neptoon, Turkey Yankee, Mercurio Morrissey, Fritz & Felix Yates (<-- brothers from the Czech republic), Mortimer Victor, Isabella Kennedy, Redding Rust...

God blessa youse
-Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

Anonymous said...

You CAN believe, dear!!! How??
1) walk into thy bedroom.
2) kneel down at footObed.
3) ask the Most Holy Spirit
to descend upon thee.
4) I'll VitSee you Upstairs.
We need to be as humble as we can
in this feeble, fallible, finite existence.
Follow me2the Wedding Feast ASAP:
● NOPEcantELOPE.blogspot.com ●
GBY. Cya soon, ya girl gorgeous you...